Rental Terms and Conditions
Renting any vehicle entails pages and pages of disclaimers, contracts, insurance checks, and legalese. Renting from Peace Vans is, unfortunately, no different. Alas, we have attempted to simplify the most important parts of our policies into easily readable English so there is no confusion or surprises.
- Peace Vans has a very strict no 'hard core' off-road use. You are allowed, and encouraged, to explore the plethora of forest service roads and similar unimproved roads, but please do not aggressively pursue off road adventures, heavily washboarded roads, or overgrown trails that may leave you stranded and with a large repair bill. Keep in mind that these are not 4 wheel drive vans and it is very easy to get stuck on muddy shoulders, soft grasses and loose gravel. Your van travels with 24 hour roadside assistance, but it is your financial responsibility if you do get stuck like this. Also, the response time for the roadside assistance can be long.
- Be very careful when executing tight turn arounds on less improved roads. These vans can easily get stuck. Getting stuck not due to mechanical issues will be your responsibility to address.
- We will give you a brief orientation to your van, and you'll have the opportunity to ask questions and learn the basics about driving your vehicle.
- Our vans are a mix of automatic and manual transmissions. We will gladly walk you through the shifting pattern in our vans. Please be gentle on our clutches as we clutch them dearly. Please do not use our vehicles to learn the art of driving a stick shift.
- These vans are wonderful vehicles to drive - their large windshield and motor in the rear provide a unique driving experience - but they do require a higher degree of attentiveness than modern vehicles. We'll ask you to keep your eye on a few gauges, and we'll remind you that this is about the journey as much as the destination! These vans will go slow over mountain passes and steep grades - even with our fresh engines, expect a maximum speed of 65MPH and to drop down to 50-50MPH over a pass or at elevation.
- Our vans are best suited for WA/OR/ID, but we can let them travel further a field, but check with us first if you intend to travel beyond WA/OR/ID. For longer trips we do require a longer rental. We now offer limited one way rentals between Seattle and Santa Cruz - learn more here. Don't even ask about Burning Man :) - as long time event attendees ourselves, we will know if you are even thinking of going. If you want a van to take to Burning Man, we suggest Enterprise.
Pick-up and Drop-off
- Vans are generally available for pick up after 12PM on the starting day of your rental and due back by 1PM on the last day of your rental. Please check with us in advance if you need changes to this, and we will do our best to accommodate. We can handle after hour drop offs, but we require you to pick up during business hours.
- Because our next series of renters are waiting for your van, it's very important that the drop-off times are adhered to. There is a $200 charge for late drop offs. Similarly, we are unable to accommodate early pick-ups unless previously arranged.
- Please plan your arrival back with enough time to make your flight. Peace Vans is not responsible for any costs incurred due changing travel plans because of any issues including vehicle breakdowns.
- Please don't return your rental totally trashed. We detail each van in between rentals, but an excessively dirty van will incur an additional $150 cleaning fee.
Deposits, Cancellations, and Refunds
- Your initial reservation is secured with a 50% deposit. Full payment is due 30 days before your pick-up date or at reservation time, whichever is less. Payment is automatically collected 30 days out from your reservation.
- Cancellations must be made via written request and must be received within 30 days of pick-up for a refund. Cancellations made prior to 30 days will be fully refunded minus a $250 charge.
- Cancellations made less than 30 days from pick-up cannot be refunded unless a substitute renter is found. We will work hard to facilitate this but cannot promise anything. In the even we do find a renter, you will receive a full refund less a $250 charge.
- If you must cancel a reservation within 30 days, and we can not find a replacement renter we will extend a credit to your account good for 1 year.
- A $1000 security deposit is required against damage, unreasonable use, or excessive cleaning requirements. The security deposit is generally released within 3 days after returning the vehicle. This charge is automatically charged to your credit card used for reservations 3 days prior to pick up. Any damages that occur to your van or Peace Vans property will be deducted from your security deposit.
- Peace Vans reserves the right to cancel a reservation at any time (including at pick-up) based due to natural disasters, changes in business conditions, unforeseen natural occurrences, or other situations that would make renting a van unsafe. This includes but is not limited to a renter showing up intoxicated or otherwise unable to safely operate the vehicle. In the event of a Peace Vans initiated cancellation, a full refund will be issued.
- While we will do our best to place you in the van you have reserved, the nature of renting vintage vehicles is such that from time to time we have to make a last minute substitution. All of our vans are "equal" in quality and if we are unable to provide you with the van of your choice we cannot provide any discount or refund.
- All drivers must be 25 years old or older.
- Insurance is required on our rentals and it must be obtained through our partner, Outdoorsy. The policy provides full coverage for collision and $1M in liability coverage. There is a $1,500 maximum deductible. There is a 10% charge for this insurance. Unfortunately, credit card policies and your personal automotive policy will not provide the proper coverage for a vintage camper van rental. Peace Vans makes no money on this insurance charge.
- In the event of an accident, you must contact us immediately. We will provide assistance.
- You must pass a quick DMV check to rent with us. Recent DUIs or excessive speeding tickets in the past year might disqualify you. If you fail to meet the DMV requirements, you will receive a 100% refund including any fees. This will happen within 72 hours of your reservation.
- Non-US residents are okay to rent with us. You must obtain the insurance described above.
Breakdowns and Delays
- Peace Vans rentals are kept in top-notch condition by the dedicated professionals on our staff. In the unlikely event that your rental breaks down, there are several options.
- 24 hour roadside assistance is included with your rental. Note that the 24 hour roadside assistance is limited to accessible roads and areas. If you choose to explore more remote areas, you do so at your own risk and are responsible for costs associated with assistance.
- Parts of our corner of the country still don't have cell phone service. If an issue does occur outside of cell phone service, be prepared as it will take some time to react and help. More than likely you will have to get a ride/walk, etc. to cell accessible areas and proceed from there.
- If you are within a known service area, we maintain a strong network of trained, local mechanics who can undertake the often simple repairs to get you back on the road.
- If the issue is not deemed to be a simple repair, Peace Vans will attempt to provide a back-up vehicle.
- If a back-up vehicle is not available and your vehicle is not repairable in a reasonable window of time (generally speaking, 24 hours), Peace Vans will refund the remaining days rental fees. Peace Vans will not be responsible for additional costs associated to adjusting your plans and our liability is limited to the refund of any remaining rental days.
- If you are outside of the prescribed area, or are deemed to be on a non-approved road, all costs associated with towing, repair shall be borne by the renter. Peace Vans is the sole determinant of non-approved roads or other unapproved use of the vehicle. Shoulders and unimproved campsites are generally non-approved and "use at your own risk".
- Each of our vans has a unique combination of supplemental camping equipment - both fixed within the vehicle and supplied as part of our service. In the event one of these systems fails or can not easily be prepared, we reserve the right to not repair during your rental or offer a replacement van.
True Fine Print
- Peace Vans is not responsible for any damages, inconveniences, or costs caused by late arrivals (regardless of the reason. Furthermore, Peace Vans is not responsible for any loss, injury, or damage to person or property from any equipment rented from Peace Vans including, but not limited to, the vehicle rental.
- Upon receipt of your deposit, all terms and conditions state herein are binding.
- An additional contract will be required to be signed in conjunction with these terms and conditions.
- As much as we love pets, we don't allow pets in our rentals. We can make exceptions for small service dogs.
- We are excited to provide travel planning assistance but can not be held responsible for making arrangements or guaranteeing the quality of our tips - things change fast out there.
- Remember, campsites and ferries book up early. Plan ahead. Peace Vans is not responsible for lodging, parking, camping or similar aspects of your trip.